Guide Guide to Annulments in California
Grounds for Annulments of Marriage in California
If you want to receive an annulment of marriage in California, you must have a valid reason for seeking an annulment, and you must go through a variety of different steps depending on if you’re in a marriage or domestic partnership. All of the information in this article is taken from the following website, and for more valuable information, you should consider visiting the link.
Legal Reasons for Annulments of Marriages in California
If you want to file an annulment of marriage in CA, you need a valid legal reason. The issue may be contested within court in several circumstances, and statues of limitations allow a couple to stay married or within a domestic partnership after a certain amount of time. For these exceptions, visit the link provided above. Otherwise, an annulment of marriage in California may occur if:
• the marriage is incestuous
• either spouse is proven to be bigamous
• either party was under the age of 18 years old at the time of marriage or partnership
• Unknown prior marriage of partnership if former spouse was absent for 5 years and not known to be living
• either party was of unsound mind during the declaring of the marriage or partnership
• either party entered into the union while committing fraud
• either party forced the other to enact the union
• either party was physically incapacitated at the time of the marriage and the condition remains incurable
You may find you cannot obtain an annulment of marriage in California, but you may have other options. It’s usually best to talk with a family law attorney in order to know what legal rights you have for annulments of marriage in California or other forms of separation.
Steps for Annulments of Marriage in California
In order to legally undergo an annulment of marriage in California, the following steps must be taken. For specific forms you’ll need and be able to print out, visit here and look under the appropriate step:
1. Fill out court forms: you’ll need different kinds of forms for annulments of marriages in California depending on if you’re under 18, in a domestic partnership, or in a standard marriage.
2. File the forms with the County Clerk: you will have to pay filing fees for every form you submit, and you will have to fill out even more forms if you want to establish temporary forms for child support, spousal support, or other issues within annulments of marriage in California.
3. Serve the forms to the other party indirectly: you must serve the required forms through another party by hand or by mail. For the required forms and other various steps in this steps of the annulment of marriage in California, visit the following website.
4. Set up a court hearing: annulments of marriages in CA must supporting factors must hold up in court, and you should hire a lawyer to help you prepare for the trial.